Monday, January 6, 2014

Talk to the Hat: Rebecca Scarberry


JD Today’s guest on ‘Talk to the Hat’ is Rebecca Scarberry; author, tireless promoter of Indie writers and general good egg. Rebecca and I first met on Twitter about eighteen months ago. That’s the story we agreed for your husband, Becky, right?

RS  Right. And the least amount of information authors share with spouses, the better off they’ll be. It didn’t

take me long to catch on to this fact. Not many of the unpublished spouses would understand what goes on online ‘behind the scenes’. We do what we gotta do in order to get noticed. I bet that statement has you curious. ◕‿◕ 
  
JD  You can dish the dirt after I’ve turned the tape recorder off. We’ll save that for the director’s cut later. Ha. Anyway, welcome to virtual Thailand. So, for the benefit of the Great Unwashed out there in La La Land, tell us a bit about yourself. Leave out anything that might be incriminating.

RS Leave out anything incriminating? I’ve incriminated myself online many times. Why stop now? Well, I started out as a skinny, little California surfer girl. Now I’m a skinny, little author, living on a secluded farm in the Ozark Mountains.

I wanted to be an author ever since I was eight years old. I got sidetracked by two failed marriages and four careers. I was a buyer for Hughes Aircraft, legal secretary/paralegal, office manager for a builder/developer, and a claims analyst for an HMO.

JD  So, what got you started on this subtle form of self-torture known as ‘writing’?

RS  That’s a very good description of a writer’s life . . . self-torture. To be honest, I thought I could write stories that are just as good as the best-selling authors’ stories. I know I’m not alone. Why else would authors be brave enough to write books and send them to publishing houses or self-publish??

JD  Beats me. Mental illness, maybe? Your first book, Messages from Henry has had a whole ton of downloads and some sparkling reviews – of which mine was one. What made you want to write about a pigeon instead of, say, a manatee? (Google it, if you don’t know what a manatee is)

RS  In 2012 many authors recommended that I practice writing by entering a couple of short story contests. I thought it was a great idea. As I sat on my front porch, trying to think of story lines, a blackbird landed on my bannister. It sat and stared at me for a long time. My imagination went wild and I came up with Messages from Henry, the story about a loyal homing pigeon, trying to save his owner from death by the hands of her kidnapper. Rag Doll, is the other short story I entered in two contests and later published. That story stemmed from my desire to visit a nearby diamond park.

JD  Now you’ve recently published a feathered sequel, for which you had a co-author. How was that experience? Were there ever tears before bedtime?

RS  No tears were shed during the collaboration on Where Love Takes You (previously entitled, The Prince of Pigeons). I have to admit that there were times when I wanted to fly to England and choke Francis Potts to death. I’m not sure he ever wanted to choke me, but I know I hurt his feelings many times. I’ve apologized and now we just need to get this romance novel, we love so much, into the hands of more people who love romance, exciting pigeon adventures, and England. We feel that the United Kingdom readers will possibly love this book even more than readers from the United States. They’ll be taken across the English countryside and into ancient castles. And most will be shocked to read about a true, unexplainable phenomenon in 2013 (regarding pigeon racing).

JD Recently, you’ve diversified into illustrated books for young children. Jumper was about the adventures of a red bouncing ball. Incidentally, I recently read a book about two bouncing pink balls, but come to think of it I don’t think that was a children’s book. Hmm. I’m sure it wasn’t, not with the scene about Never mind. Tell me why you wanted to write for the little monsters, sorry I mean ‘darlings’.

RS Oh! I forgot about sending you my un-published book about the two pink bouncing balls. I think it was called, The Hunters. You remember. The story begins with me nude sunbathing. Haha! Should I switch genres a fifth time and publish erotica? I might consider doing so if you’ll collaborate. ◕‿◕

JD  I’m already in enough trouble. Sheesh. I can just imagine explaining to my family that I’m writing an erotica novel with a skinny surfer chick. I’ll be sleeping on the sofa for sure.

RS  The story line for Jumper was my husband’s idea. It came to him when a big red beach ball followed our vehicle down a busy road one windy day. It had blown out of a container of balls, in front of a toy store. I want this series to be a modernized version of the 1956 classic book/movie, The Red Balloon (written by and directed by Albert Lamorisse). I’ve achieved that with book one.

Many children want Jumper to be on TV. They want it to be similar to Sponge Bob.

Ahh! Come on, John. Children can be monsters, but they aren’t half as monstrous when they read my books and love them. I’ve got ‘em hooked and not stopping till Jumper gets popped. Ha! No way am I going do that and disappoint my young readers.

JD  And Jumper II is just hitting the shelves, right? Or hopefully bouncing off them rather.

RS Book two in the Jumper series, Jumper Bounces Back, is currently being illustrated. I hope to publish it this month or by February. I’ve already started writing book three. I think it’s going to be called Jumper Takes Flight.

JD Thank you for answering my questions, Rebecca. I’ll give it some thought re: us collaborating on erotica.
  
RS Okay. We can write a story about me visiting you in Thailand while your wife goes on holiday to America.

JD  Sounds like a lot of non-innocent fun. Gimme your phone number. Oh, bollocks, I thought I’d turned the tape off.


Get to know Rebecca Scarberry better:-

Twitter  @Scarberryfields
NOTE: it's also FREE on all other Amazon sites worldwide!



8 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview, so nice to learn more about you Rebecca. It's great to see a woman who can dish it out to John,
    eden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, wait a cotton-pickin' minute, Ms Baylee, you're supposed to be on my side. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the interview. Great guy doing the interview. Great lady responding. JOLLY GOOD SHOW! (Do you Brits get sick of hearing and saying that?) :-) AND, you speak the truth, writing is indeed a 'subtle form of self-torture'. KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BR. And no, we Brits never get sick of hearing compliments. The only thing we get sick of is cabbage and drizzly rain :)

      Delete
  3. POP I wonder where do they make balloons? Not choosing any sides staying very neutral Digby on the other hand that is a completely different animal to contain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Digby is certainly an animal. On that we can agree. Apart from the bits of him that are vegetable or made of plastic, that is.

      Delete
  4. Ashes to ashes vegetables and plastic trying to stay on topic have you looked at Jonathan Gottschall's the Storytelling animal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. Worth a read you think? In which case I'll add it to the pile.

      Delete