Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Galericulate Get a Head Awards 2013


Unlike most 'Best of' lists, the Galericulate Awards has no predetermined categories. This means I can make up all sorts of stuff and be as parochial, corrupt and biased as I want. However, in an attempt to revive my fading credibility, I have in fact selected some mighty fine pieces of writing for your delectation and delight. If you don't like at least some of my award winners you are either brain dead or the sort of weirdo who would top himself for a bet.

So without more ado, meet the 2013 red carpet treaders. Oh, and have a great fecking Christmas, OK?


Poetry Collection Most Likely To Reduce You To Tears: 'Where Lightning Strikes' by Alexandria Constantinova Szeman

The Grande Dame of Indie writing's erudite and moving collection of Holocaust poems shines like a beacon of truth in a dark world.







Best First Book In A Series Containing Half A Ghost : 'American Midnight' by B.R. Snow

Bernie Snow's 'Damaged Posse' series gets off to a cracking start with this novel containing a cast of zany, offbeat characters and a twisting storyline.







Most Brutally Honest Memoir: 'The Cracked Mirror' by Billy Ray Chitwood

The boy from Tennessee gives us a fascinating and brave insight into a life of wanderlust.







Best Novel With Germans In It: 'The Black Eagle Inn' by Christoph Fischer

This fascinating family saga is set against the backdrop of twentieth century Bavaria.









Literary Erotica Collection Guaranteed To Raise Your Body Temperature So You Can Switch Off The Central Heating: 'Spring Into Summer' by Eden Baylee

Longing, loss, desire and great storylines - it's all here.







Most Satisfying Pages With Bad Guys Getting Blown Away: 'Savage Payback' by Seumas Gallacher

Guns, girls, heists, explosions and a satisfyingly large body count. What more do you want to stave off the winter ennui?







Most Lip-Smacking Short Story Collection Based On A Pack of Cards: 'Allegories of the Tarot', edited by Annetta Ribken

Most collections from different authors have at least one turkey (whether or not it's Christmas), but not this collection! Great stuff!







Dustiest Dystopian Novel Accompanied By A Clutch Of Shorties But Goodies: 'The Loved, the Lost, the Dreaming' by Michelle Browne

George Orwell meets Edgar Allan Poe meets .. oh, just read it, OK?








Oh, and if you're fed up with books, here's a picture of my dog. He's just chewed up most of the Christmas presents. Still think he's cute?







17 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a naughty dog...

    Great list (especially because I've actually *read* some of them already!), and merry back at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks, Cam. Thank you for all your support and encouragement during 2013. Have a great Xmas! x

      Delete
  2. Well, I'll be damned ... oops, I guess I should not be swearing on Christmas eve, but I couldn't help it.

    What a lovely post to wake up to.

    Thank you Mr. Dolan, for including Spring into Summer, and Allegories of the Tarot. I'm thrilled to be amongst such wonderful writers.

    Getting a head award will be one of the highlights of my holidays. I hope you have a lovely one too.

    eden
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Eden. As the song goes, have yourself a merry little Christmas, won't you? Sending hugs via Santa - he'll be on his way to you soon enough xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, echoing Eden, "what a lovely post to wake up to." Thank you, JD, for the 'Head Award' - it's the best Christmas present ever! It is most special coming from you, a most incredible wordsmith! Thanks for all the the support and your friendship. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's deserved, Mr Chitwood. All the best of the season to you too!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, sir, I am truly honored to appear on such a list. Merry Christmas to you, and thanks again! Allegories was a project from my heart and this really means a lot to me. Plus, you have great taste.

    And yes, he is VERY cute :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Annetta, $10 and the dog is yours. No? How about $20? Happy Xmas! ;)

      Delete
  6. You missed a good one "The Winds of a Much Colder fall" By Robert P. Franza One adoption is enough for me really now John $10.00 for your family pet does not surprise me. Digby brought this to my attention scrolling through Galericulate perhaps he was feeling a little melancholy & missing your electrical holiday spirit. What a difference a year can make so bring it on 2014 for a Healthy & Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And best wishes to you too, my dear. Want to return Digby? Sorry, no refunds :)

      Delete
  7. Digby's therapist feels his return would be detrimental. Refund no thank-you I wouldn't dream of his return the very thought brings horrific flashbacks of his arrival. Besides with all the reconstructive surgery reassembling him you wouldn't even recognize him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recognise him? This just gets better and better :)

      Delete
  8. Please I beg thee do not detain me too long in Galeiculate Prison awaiting my reprieve for my somnolent grammar.

    ReplyDelete