Friday, March 29, 2013

Steak With Seumas


Today I had the pleasure of a leisurely lunch in Dubai with the indomitable Seumas Gallacher, legendary Scottish blogger and writer of best-selling action thrillers 'The Violin Man's Legacy' and 'Vengeance Wears Black'. As well as being a phenomenal wielder of the virtual pen, Seumas is a tireless and generous supporter of fellow writers***. Mr Gallacher's wife is currently out of town, so I figured the poor beggar was probably in need of a decent meal - the ladies among you will be only too aware of what pathetic creatures we men are when left to our own devices.


For a guy from North of the Border, Seumas has a surprisingly high IQ and was able to wax lyrical on the whole social networking scene. We found we share a common philosophy: DON'T SPEND YOUR TIME ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK ETC TRYING TO SELL YOUR BOOKS; SPEND YOUR TIME INTERACTING AND MAKING FRIENDS.

Being the opinionated curmudgeons that we are, we took the opportunity over dessert to put the world to rights. I shan't bore you all with the details, but suffice to say that we will be contacting the world leaders over the next couple of weeks with instructions on how to sort things out. Provided they do as they are told, we should see an end to world poverty, all wars and a resolution to the Euro crisis by the end of April. Total nuclear disarmament should be in place by the autumn and global warming will have stopped by Christmas. This will leave us with ample time to do some writing thereafter, just as soon as we have the Nobel Prize Nomination behind us. Our next joint project will be the invention of a Time Travelling Machine which we hope to make commercially available to everyone for about the price of an iPad by this time next year. Watch this space.

Meantime, you might want to take a look at Seumas' website/blog http://seumasgallacher.com/ and catch up with him on Twitter @seumasgallacher

A couple of months back I reviewed Seumas' 'Vengeance Wears Black' on this blog. You can take a look at the review by clicking HERE


***Seumas made me write this sentence, by the way. 


12 comments:

  1. Would have liked to be at the next table to eavesdrop on the conversation. (or send over my check) Nice post. - John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like John Howell, would have loved to be in attendance - However, you or Seumas would have picked up my check...I mean, what with all the travel time, air costs, jet lag, and listening over my Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding two pretentious and proper UK author-types talking for hours on problem topics for which only I could offer the most useful solutions...I mean, why would I be expected to pay for a lunch to which I wasn't even invited...why, it is unspeakable stinginess...really, you two expect too much from a southern gentleman, several times removed from Buckinghamshire and the lovely hamlet of Chetwode...Really, it is truly the epitome of gall... (Smiley face inserted here>:-)

    Okay, lost for a moment, but I'm back. I'm through with my slapstick. In truth, it was a humorous and most lovely recap of what I know was a beautiful lunch and chat between two most highly esteemed and indeed informed, proper gentlemen of whom I hold the highest regard...AND, they do a damned nice job of authoring books...Would it be more but I do offer my coveted 'Chetwodian Award For Excellence In Writing' - So, there it be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most delightful lunch recap, JD.

    Don't know what happened to my longer comment which was intended to be in the humorous vein. (It doesn't show here.) I always seem to have trouble with these 'comment sections' where one has to 'write out a code' and put in a URL or some such thing.

    In any event, loved your post, and do indeed wish you and Seumas were handling our world affairs --- You two would certainly be a improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BR. As you see, both of your comments are now here. The delay was caused by Digby whose job it is to release all comments from Galericulate limbo. Unfortunately, today is the day when he was scheduled to have his herbal enema, so he's naturally been a little distracted (and, worryingly, a little excited at the prospect).
      Seumas and I have decided, by the way, that under the New World Order you will be in charge of The Armed Forces and glass recycling. I trust that is OK with you.

      Delete
  4. Oh to be a fly on the wall and most certainly not in your soup gentlemen. My poor little Digby when will he receive his just do? We all know the world needs a Digby enema, by the way John since when does anyone make you do what you don't want to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kerriann. You can have Digby, by the way. Ten bucks and he's yours. Oh, OK, I'll give you twenty bucks to take him off my hands. So long as you understand he doesn't come with a warranty. Or an air freshener.

    Stuff I don't want to do? Yes, true :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay it's a deal my attorney will be in touch with wire the adoption papers also the account to wire. Now I must go contact overstock.com for air freshener in bulk. A very happy Sunday to you and your family and Thank you!

      Delete
    2. You are welcome. Now then, when it comes to shipping Digby, by far the cheapest method would be for me to pack him into a number of small boxes and you can reassemble him when he arrives in NYC. I will enclose appropriate instructions. You will however need a screwdriver, about 6 dozen screws and some duct tape (not supplied. Batteries also not included). Would this be acceptable?

      Delete
    3. Reassemble Digby your so worth it, now I have to venture to Staten Island NY to excavate the best of contractors,

      Delete
  6. I'm tardily interrupting the foregoing scintillating chatter to acknowledge a most generous offer in the 'new world order.' In short, I must decline... There seems to me something seriously sinister in combining 'Armed Forces' with 'Glass Recycling.' And, frankly, having watched the build-up of so many electronic war games, I'm now a devout coward.

    Still, I lift my 'glass' to two of my favorite tweet twisters in this current digital age, 'Digby' Dolan and 'Sweet Mabel' Gallacher...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmn. OK, I guess we'll just have to find somebody else for these jobs ... Wonder if Gandhi's free?

    ReplyDelete