Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Liebster-ish Award Part III: Attack of the Clones




THE NEXT BIG THING

You know this game, but you may never have played it this way: Tag! You’re the author who’s “It” so you have to play the game by sharing information on your current Work in Progress (WIP) otherwise someone is sent round to your house with an electric cattle prod. Sandy Appleyard and Alexandria Constantinova Szeman (both of whom should know better) have tagged me, which goes to show you can't trust anybody these days. Actually it's not so bad. Makes me nostalgic for my time in reform school.

I'm digressing, as usual. Here are the rules:

Give credit (including the URL/link) to the person or blog that caught you before you could change your name and move to Panama.
Play by the rules – fortunately they're not complicated as writers tend to suffer from an IQ-deficiency – which includes posting the rules.
Answer 9 questions about your current WIP (NOTE: Looks like lying is OK, thank goodness).
List five other authors or bloggers, with their relevant URL/links, so that the ignominy can cling to them wherever they are on the planet.


1. What is the title (or working title) of your WIP book?

"Hungry Ghosts"


2. What genre(s) does your book fall under (or brush up against)?

Psychological thriller/mystery/crime/detective. Tempted to put "chick lit" on this list, as it would get me a wider audience, but I'd get complaints that there wasn't enough in the book about shoes and makeup.


3. Which actors would you choose to play the characters in the film version of your book?

Clive Owen would make a good David Braddock (the central anti-hero) - he has that haggardly-handsome lived-a-bit look to him. Definitely needs to be a Brit: I wouldn't want some guy called Cage with a wig on his head doing the part. Not unless the royalty money is really good of course.

Most of the other main characters are Thai, so any names I mention wouldn't mean much to my readers here. They'd also be very long names.

For some of the smaller parts I'd use tried-and-trusted British actors and actresses, and the hottest Thai girls available.

OK, so Hollywood's not exactly going to jump at these recommendations, but sod 'em. There is such a thing as artistic integrity (unless the royalty money is really good of course).


4. What is the one-sentence pitch for your book?

While searching for a missing girl in the underworld of Bangkok, ethically-dubious private eye David Braddock finds himself hunted.


5. Will your book be Indie published, self-published, or represented by an agency and sold to a traditional publisher?

Self-published in 2013. I've already turned down a offer from a small publisher for the first book in the "Time, Blood and Karma" series ("Everyone Burns"), so this is the route I'm committed to.

I suspect I might be a control freak.


6. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I'm expecting a year. I'm only part-way through it now.


7. What other books in this genre would you compare yours to? 

I wouldn't. Or can't rather. While each book in "Time, Blood and Karma" will have elements of psychology, mystery and crime in them, the series also traces a family history over a period of seventy years as a 'karmic arc'. The books will also jump backwards and forwards in time. I guess the content of  three of the books (including "Hungry Ghosts") is a bit of a mixture of John Burdett's "Bangkok 8" series with various stuff half-inched from Graham Greene and Albert Camus. OK, that's horribly pretentious, I know. I'm not even sure how the dark humour that informs my stories fits into any of this. Generally speaking I don't read thrillers and mysteries (yep, that's right!) and I'm more usually to be found with my head in a psychology or history book, so I don't even know who my 'compatriots' are.


8. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

As I've already said, "Hungry Ghosts" is number #2 in a series. Where the overall idea for the series came from - and I have all the books already mapped out - I have no idea. It's probably something to do with the places I've been to, my love of good inter-related plots, psychology and Buddhist philosophy; and an interest in the nature of time and its effects on relationships. How my creative subconscious does stuff I really don't have a clue. I recently re-read "Everyone Burns" and it felt like someone else had written it. Weird.


9. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Exotic locations, twists and turns in the plot and a central character who can't make his mind up about which of the various females in his life is the 'right' one for him (assuming any of them are). The storyline(s) also unfold from the points of view of different characters - unlike in the first book - which I hope might give added interest for the reader by keeping him guessing as to true motives.


Phew! That's me done. Now I'm handing over the baton (or poisoned chalice, according to your point of view). My "tags" are:-

Travis Luedke

Angella Graff

Charles Wells

Tina Traverse

Rebecca Scarberry


If any of you folks don't want to "pollute" your own blog/website with this, you're welcome to "guest" on mine.


For more blogging phuquerie, find out what the members of the Blog Scratchers Union are up to on Twitter by using the hashtag #TBSU


No comments:

Post a Comment